Hello to my lovely readers, I’ve been watching my follow count getting a little bit higher every now and then and I must say it’s very exciting.
Just as a note before I get into this post properly, I must address my YouTube channel – I can’t believe that I have 55 subscribers already! Thank you so much to those of you who’ve followed me and been so supportive, it’s really boosted my confidence about it. I’ve uploaded my February plans today – yay!
Onto the dress – the Francoise Dress by Tilly and the Buttons. I’m not sure how to do type a c with a circumflex, so you’ll just have to pretend that it’s there for this post. I was just looking back through my makes and just realised that everything that I’ve sewn recently has been a pattern by Tilly, which goes to show how amazing she is! I promise I’m not being given free patterns from her or anything (though I wish I was – isn’t Zadie lovely?! It was released last Thursday!) I just love the quality and guidance from her.
I wrote about the fabric that I used for this dress a little while ago, so some of you might remember, but for those of you that haven’t seen it, it really is amazing. I used a duochrome fabric which is really quite hard to explain, so I’ll just show you with a photo.
Isn’t it wonderful? In some lights it’s a pinky-red, and in others a blue-green. (Technical colour terminology on point there.) The fabric obviously had a really high plastic content, because the iron didn’t really agree with it, (sorry mum!) so I ended up just avoiding seam pressing. It was lovely to sew through though, but I noticed a real problem with fraying, which I’ll keep in mind when I next use it (which will be for my prom outfit!) and do French seams to hopefully make the inside neater.
I won’t ramble on too much about the pattern itself, because it was, as always, incredible. This was my first time working with a heavier-weight fabric, which was required to create the slightly more flared bottom – it is a shift dress after all! I didn’t struggle at all though, because there were only 5 or 6 pattern pieces, so I’m really glad that this was my first heavy weight garment. I would definitely recommend it if you’re about to use something with less drape!
On the right you’ll see the little natural shell star buttons that I sewed onto the centre front of my dress as well as on the button tab, for a little bit of decoration and I think they really pulled the whole thing together. Although, I was quite concerned the whole evening because I thought that they might break. Thankfully, they didn’t.
I did have a bit of a problem finding matching thread and a matching zip for the dress, so I just went with a contrasting white. But then I decided that I didn’t like that, so did a lot of unpicking and handsewing with invisible thread instead! Around the hem of the dress and on the button tab though, I did use some white cotton, and did a very pretty leaf detail which people seemed to like!
I wore the dress to the EDS charity dinner last Wednesday, which I wrote about on Thursday (I’ll link that here). Everyone seemed to really like it, and I got a lot of compliments which was lovely! I had a great time on the night – even though it made my fatigue a little worse for a few days afterwards!
Mum and I had a little photoshoot of the dress yesterday, because the pictures from the evening were all taken while I was in the wheelchair, so you couldn’t really see it properly. I hope you like it!