My Makes · Uncategorized

Butterick B6324 – A Non-Review

I went a bit rogue with this pattern because the instructions kept confusing me. I’m not sure if it was because I was being impatient and wanted the shirt finished right now, or if it was actually the Butterick instructions. I’m 99.9% sure that it was me. Also I haven’t had time to take photos of me wearing the top, so today the lovely Magda is modelling it (although it doesn’t really fit her and that’s as small as she goes).

I got super duper excited about this pattern when I found it in the shop, and knew instantly that it was ‘the one’ – the one that I’d use to make the shirt that I want to wear for my birthday and year 13 prom. I decided to have a practice run so that I didn’t cut into the very expensive lace and then discover that I couldn’t do it, so out came the very-kindly-given-to-me pink fabric.front

I wanted to make the shirt very boxy and cropped, so I cut the pattern pieces for version A at the ‘lengthen or shorten here’ line. I did keep the bit that I cut out though, just in case I want to stick it back on at a later date! I think my ‘let’s see if holding up this pattern piece against myself and hope that I can accurately judge the length that I want’ method worked though, because the end product has ended up hitting my waist exactly where I wanted it to. I made the shirt in a size 12 because, as I said, I wanted it to be ridiculously boxy so that it would look nice with something high waisted and keep me cool in summer.

I’m not going to go into the detail of the pattern because I don’t want to say the instructions were a bit unclear if they’re actually not – my aches and insistence to finish the shirt quickly might have affected how well I read and understood it! So I’ll reserve judgement for next time I use the pattern. On the bright side though, I did the shirt without looking at the pattern much at all in the end, so it’s definitely an instinctive one.

Once I’d finished the shirt and sewed on the buttons, I wanted to give it a little more ‘pizzaz’, so measured out some ribbon (which I had bought a couple of weeks before 17092205_1105742592903516_1636851814_nwithout having any idea what to use it for – but its time to shine soon arrived) to attach to the hem of the shirt and around the sleeves. I used invisible thread just to make sure that the flowers on the ribbon would have no problem being seen, and because I’ve found that it’s much sturdier than ordinary thread!

Of course, I also kept the tradition of glittery buttonholes going, even though every time I sit down to thread the machine with metallic thread I vow to never do it again because it frays so much – I really need to find a way to get around that!

I’m sorry that this wasn’t more of a review of the pattern, I promise that next time I use it I’ll try harder to decipher the instructions – although I’m sure that there won’t be any problems with them at all!